This semester has been my busiest yet. In addition to a full course load, I’ve been working part-time at the college as a TA and tutor, and I’ve been working on my senior Capstone project.

I also signed on for an entrepreneurship competition through the business college and prepared an executive summary. I made it to the finals and for the next few months I’ll develop my executive summary into a presentation for next February.

I’m also applying for grad school. The University of Utah offers degrees in video game art, design, and production through their college of Electronic Arts and Entertainment (EAE). I’m considering either the engineering or production track, currently leaning toward production.

My senior project is going well, and my friends and family will tell you it’s all I talk about these days.

It’s sort of what I came here to blog about, anyway.

I’m building a campaign manager. Not really like a notebook or a wiki, though I’d like to incorporate those things as features, but a database that contains all the information relevant to the campaign, and a distribution system so the Dungeon Master can make the data available to players as it becomes relevant.

I built a character generator. Some months back, I posted 24 or so characters created by the generator.

I also built a star system generator. Last year I posted some sample output in the form of a star map. I’ve created at least two new iterations of the generator since then, expanding on the content as I’ve become more familiar with the procedures and material.

I also wrote a name generator that uses deities and cosmic entities from mythology for the names of stars and planets. It’s pretty cool. I even built in a Roman numeral converter so it appends ii, viii, ix, and xvi as needed for moons and such. I’ll revise and expand the system as needed, but for now it’s already tons of fun to see in action.

Earlier this year, I wrote a faction system based on Blades in the Dark. It generates gangs and then they work together or rip each other continually. Mostly they rip each other off. That one’s still in its first iteration, and it’s due for an update.

What I’ve spent the last couple months working on is the database portion, which will store all the data generated for characters, worlds, and factions. Testing all the individual parts, refining them and making them more concise, modular, and readable… has taken up a fair bit of my “free” time.

All told, I’ve incorporated material based on Dungeons & Dragons 5e, Classic Traveller, Traveller 4 (Pocket Empires), Stars Without Number, and Blades in the Dark. I’ve experimented with a few other systems, but nothing integrated yet.

I hope to eventually incorporate material from the GURPS Traveller Spaceports book, but I’ll need to review more of that material before I feel comfortable writing anything from it.

My primary goal is to create a database that contains all the material necessary for a Dungeon Master to run a world: generate places, people, objects, and adventures. Secondary to that is being able to distribute that to the players quickly and easily (via mobile/desktop local area network).

Lots of tertiary features follow, including procedurally generated town and dungeon maps, monster ecology, dynamic race and culture systems, world maps, and custom user content. Really, I’m less interested in allowing DMs to add their own content when a buffet of procedural content can be provided for them to choose from.