Obligatory GitHub repository link.

I did a lot over the weekend. It would take to long to explain, so I will sum up:

– Implemented “Rogues.” Moved attributes and ratings into the class. Added Vices, Trauma, and Playbook Specials. Added a name generator and used the names from the book. Implemented stress and trauma mechanics–rogues will now “push themselves” at random during a score, accumulate stress, and receive trauma. After receiving their fourth trauma condition, they are removed from the game.

– Implemented “Climb,” “Claim,” “Shake,” and “Assist” goals as part of a score. Implemented Effect/Result portion of Action rolls: a Partial, Critical, and normal Success on a roll result in an Effect, whereas Failure results in (almost) none. Added Entanglements and started implementation. Added Heat and Wanted levels and started implementation. Added Downtime Activities and started implementation.

– Added Cohorts, Crew Specials, and completed some implementation. Implemented relationships between factions, and enabled relationship changes (it works differently between the PC and NPC factions by the book).

RE: Action Rolls and Rogue Attributes
Initially I had random numbers of dice rolled for each Action Roll, but once I implemented Rogues I could pull their actual Ratings for the number of dice. Until I have advancement finished though, their Ratings don’t change. Since I incorporated Stress though, I was able to create a function to “Push” a Rogue when they wanted more dice for a roll. I’m still testing and adjusting the threshold for “Pushing.”

It was while I was working on this though, that I realized and was able to update the Results/Effects portion of Action Rolls. Honestly, I’m going to need to break Action Rolls into their own class soon, because they occupy a really specific purpose that’s utilized in a different context. Also, I reread the section about obstacles, progress, and clocks, and I’ll probably need to either make “simple versus complex” obstacles, or something.

Right now, every obstacle is a 4-, 6-, or 8-segment Clock, and that doesn’t accurately reflect what the players should expect from a game. I think I’ll probably analyze plans and come up with a list of basic obstacle types, then have each plan initialize with a range of appropriate obstacle types. I might even make it incorporate crew Activities in the process of choosing obstacles and Clocks.

RE: Action Results and Effects
I hadn’t really looked into this too much, but upon rereading a portion of the text, I saw something which I had previously missed: a “failed” Action (usually) results in No Effect. This seems like it should be obvious, but when you’re knee deep in code–maybe not so much. I had added “No Effect” as a possible result, however there was a pretty remote possibility of receiving it from a die roll.

THIS has the result of invalidating a lot of my simulations, because I hadn’t realized at that point FAILING a die roll was contributing to the progress of a score. I’d written an algorithm to estimate “scene tension,” which I probably won’t need anymore. Silly me.

Anyway, I took a MUCH closer look at how I was doling out Effects and Consequences from Action rolls, and I think it works a lot better now. Results are closer to “by the book” now: Partials and Successes create progress, with Partials having a possibility of “Reduced Effect.” Partials and Failures produce Consequences, with Failures having a small (1 in 6) chance of having an Effect.