I was ridiculously busy and tired yesterday, so you’ll have to forgive me for not posting as much, and for the one entry that was a rambling post about numbers which were mostly wrong. This morning, as I reviewed everything, I realized that I left out several important steps, and that I mixed up units of measurement.

For starters, I was trying to convert square kilometers to square miles using a kilometers-to-miles equation, which is a big no-no. I mean, it’s just wrong. Anyway, remedying that problem was as easy as finding the correct measurements slightly down and to the right of the original area values. *sheepish*

Once I got the areas sorted out, I had problems with population — I wound up with more than twice as many people living in Ancient Greece as there are in the modern Greece, which is an embarrassing problem. I solved that problem by dropping the efficiency with which my people were using uninhabitable mountain areas.

That left me with a population ever so slightly higher than the modern population of Greece, so I counted that as good and looked for other parts of my equation that I thought would better express a more cutthroat, resource-competitive civilization. And when that didn’t really work, I just settled on decimating the modern numbers.

I found myself in another situation after that, which was my Catan-to-Risk ratio. I realized that the divisions I wanted were far too small, and I would have so many towns and outposts that they would individually seem unimportant — as compared to the too-large towns and regions I had before that offered too few options.

Now I think I have something to work with. I have a population divided up among several areas, each area represents a certain amount of real-world numbers like squares miles and average coastline, and people can live there, travel, and stuff.